Tuesday 25 February 2014

056 - BYO iPads Information for Parents

Day 56. Our school is launching a BYOD iPad program for our Year 5 and 6 kids this year. Tonight we held a parent information evening where I was asked to speak to the parents about the reasons, rationale and strategy for its implementation. We thought it would be a good idea to record the session for any parents unable to attend, so I decided to make it my daily create for today.

The slides were created in Apple Keynote for OSX, then exported to a PDF file and imported into SlideShare.com. The audio was made with a Rode lapel mic plugged into my Nexus 4 phone, and recorded with an Android app called Easy Voice Recorder. The audio file was then transferred from my Nexus 4 to my Mac using a wireless file transfer app called AirDroid, edited in Audacity, then uploaded to SlideShare and synced to the slides with their slidecasting feature.


Sadly, slidecasting in SlideShare is about to be discontinued on Feb 28. I don't know of another service that does this syncing of slides and audio, and I have used the feature quite a bit in the past so I'm disappointed to see it go.

 

2 comments:

  1. Chris - thanks for sharing this slidecast on BYOD. Very timely as I am working in a school this very same intro. Slideshare has been a great resource - yes very dissapointing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chris, nice work will borrow some of your ideas!

    ReplyDelete